Thursday, October 1, 2009

Shell Drawing

Using a shell as a skeletal proxy helped me understand contours a little better. I had drawn contours in high school and the first year at college, and I did pretty well back then, but I was definitely out of practice. That rustiness made it really difficult to see the contours on the model, but once I started drawing the shell with it's hard, bony lines, the contour seemed to make sense. I remembered how to exaggerate forms and draw with my wrist to create delicate lines, but the in-studio lessons reminded me how to wrap the lines around the object and break the lines up to create a contour vs and outline.
I spent just under 3 hours on this drawing (about 2 and 45) and at first I thought I'd be able to knock it out in 1. As I began to really study the shape I realized how much time it would take if I really paid attention to it. My favorite part is that little shelf that sits between the lip and the body of the shell. I think the inner lip turned out pretty nice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment